If you want to put in a swimming pool or hot tub on your property, you need to get a pool enclosure permit. The purpose of the permit is to ensure that you meet the proper enclosure and protection requirements that are outlined in the Town of Orangeville's Swimming Pool Enclosure By-law.

Apply for a permit

Please complete the Building Permit Application and submit to:

Building division, Infrastructure Services
Town Hall
87 Broadway
Orangeville, ON
L9W 1K1

If you are not the owner of the property, you will need to submit a Letter of Authorization along with the permit application.

Please submit the following documents along with the permit application:

  • survey showing the location and dimensions of the pool/hot tub, including setbacks from the side yard lot lines and rear yard lot lines
  • fencing details, including type and height
  • grading plan

For hot tubs, you need to include:

  • details about what the hot tub will be placed on
  • a copy of your hydro permit (contact the Electrical Safety Authority for a hydro permit)


The permit fee is $175.00 for above ground pools, and $300.00 for inground pools.

If you are installing an inground pool, there is a minimum damage deposit of $500.00 required.

Get an inspection

You will need to get a variety of inspections done during the construction phase. The following inspections are required with a pool enclosure permit:

Permit details

Please review the following permit details:

  • all pools, including inflatable pools with water depths that exceed 24 inches, require a pool enclosure permit
  • you will need to contact us if you are installing an inground pool or are proposing a change to the grading in any way
  • you can't place a pool on any easement

Pool sheds

You can include a pool shed in your pool permit application or apply separately for a building permit. If a pool shed is larger than 161 square feet, you will need a permit. All pool sheds that exceed 7 feet at mid-span must maintain 4-foot setbacks.