If you would like to apply for a land severance, you need to submit an application of consent to the Committee of Adjustment. Your application must meet the provisions in the Planning Act, Official Plan and Zoning By-law.

Book a pre-consultation

Before submitting a planning application, you need to complete the Pre-consultation Request Form and book a consultation with our staff. We will help guide you through the development process and let you know what forms and documents you need to include in your application.

Consent application

Please submit an application of consent to the Committee of Adjustment and include the following:

  • Application of Consent (two copies)
  • applicable fees
  • two copies of scaled drawing of the proposal depicting the boundaries and dimensions of the land (the part that is to be severed and the part that is to be retained, the existing uses on the adjacent lands and other relevant features)
  • photographs or other relevant documentation

If you are using an agent or solicitor, you need to provide written authorization identifying the agent or solicitor.


It costs $1,600 to submit an application of consent. You will also pay an additional $30 if you request to defer the application. Depending on the location of the property, you may need to pay additional fees through Credit Valley Conservation.

Approval process

View our Guide to Consents to learn more about the approval process for consent applications. The application will go through the following approval:

  1. Pre-consultation with Town staff
  2. Submit the Application of Consent
  3. Town staff review and circulate applications
  4. Circulation of Notice of Hearing and posting of public notice sign
  5. Staff report is submitted to the Committee of Adjustment
  6. Committee of Adjustment meeting and decision
  7. Notice of decision
  8. 20-day appeal period

This process may take six to eight weeks or longer for more complex applications.