Apply for a marriage licence

Before you get married, you need to apply for a marriage licence. 

Apply Online

The Town issues marriage licences by appointment.   

Marriage Licence Fee: $135  

Please bring all original documentation to your appointment.


Applicants must be at least 18 years old to get married in Ontario. If you are 16 or 17 years old, you may marry if you have the written consent of both parents or legal guardians.

In order to get a marriage licence, you and your partner will need to provide two pieces of government-issued identification. One piece of identification must include your photo. Examples of suitable identification include:

  • birth certificate or change of name certificate
  • valid passport
  • record of immigrant landing
  • Canadian citizenship card
  • valid driver's licence
  • valid Ontario photo card

If you or your partner have previously been divorced in Canada, you will need to provide one of the following documents:

  • Certificate of Divorce;
  • Original or court-certified Decree Absolute; or
  • Final judgment

For divorces issued prior to June 1, 1986, the original or certified copy of the Final Decree will be accepted.

If you got divorced outside of Canada, you will need to contact the Office of the Registrar General.

Marriage certificates

A marriage certificate contains the details of a marriage that was performed in Ontario. You will need the certificate in order to change your name, process a divorce or record your family history. You may apply for a marriage certificate online through Service Ontario.


To find an officiant for your wedding, please refer to the Province of Ontario’s database of registered marriage officiants or contact us for a list of officiants who offer this service in the Town of Orangeville.