In the Town of Orangeville, it is mandatory for all residential, commercial, industrial and institutional customers to have a water meter. A water meter is a device which measures the amount of water supplied to your home.

Purchase a water meter

You can purchase a water meter at Town Hall, located at 87 Broadway. We accept cash, cheque and debit payments. Contact us and we can help you select the right meter size.

You can pick up the water meter kit at the Town of Orangeville Operations Centre, located at 500 C Line.


View our water meter kit prices:

  • $225 for a standard 5/8” x 3/4" residential meter
  • Contact us for the price of a residential meter that is larger than 5/8”

All residential meter kits include a touchpad and tail pieces.


You will need to have a licensed plumber install the meter. After installation, call the Building Division to set up an inspection of the meter.

Water meter replacements

If your meter is leaking or causing any sort of issue, it is your responsibility to notify us as soon as possible. Please give us a call at 519-941-0440 ext. 2411 to have your address added to our repair list.

All meter maintenance services are done by Neptune Technology Group Canada Co. Neptune will contact you by mail, door hanger or phone to set up an appointment time.

Water meters explained

A water meter measures the volume of water that goes into your home in cubic metres (1 cubic metre = m3 = 1,000 litres). It cannot distinguish how the water is used. As an example, if you have a leak, the meter records the water in the same way that it would if you were washing dishes, washing clothes or watering your plants.

Water meters have an outside reading device called a touchpad. The touchpad enables staff to read and record the amount of water used without entering the house. It is important that the touchpad be accessible at all times, especially during winter months, for regular reading.

The water meter should never be enclosed or covered by building materials or obstructed in any way.

Where to find the meter

Most water meters are in the basement. If you don't have a basement, look for your water meter in a crawlspace or on the main floor. Homeowners must always provide clear and unobstructed access to the water meter as per the Town of Orangeville Water and Wastewater Rates By-law.

All homes and businesses have a water shut-off valve which enables you to shut off your water supply in the event of an emergency leak. The internal shut-off valve is typically located in the basement or crawl space area. Look for it near your hot water heater, water softener or furnace. The shut-off valve must always be kept easily accessible.

The Town of Orangeville owns the water meter and is responsible for any maintenance. The property owner owns all other piping and plumbing inside the home or building out to the property line. The property owner must maintain household pipes to protect the water meter from issues like freezing. Property owners are not permitted to tamper with the water meter.