Fire departments in Dufferin County urge residents to practise fire safety
Fire departments in Dufferin County have been fighting several fires in recent weeks and the effects are long-lasting. Fires impact people, property and the environment, as well as having an economic toll.
“We want to remind everyone that they need to do everything they can to prevent fires from starting,” said Orangeville Fire Chief Ronald Morden. “People have to give themselves a chance to escape a fire should one occur in their home. This means installing working smoke alarms and practising an escape plan with everyone who lives in your home.”
You may have less than three minutes to escape a fire in your home. Only working alarms will give you the early warning your family needs to escape safely. The Orangeville Fire Department urges you to take responsibility for the fire safety of your family. There are some very simple things you can do to prevent fires:
- Install smoke alarms on every storey and outside all sleeping areas of your home. For added protection, install smoke alarms in every bedroom according to manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Install carbon monoxide alarms outside all sleeping areas if your home has a fuel-fired appliance, fireplace or attached garage. For added protection, install carbon monoxide alarms on every level of your home.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide alarms monthly by pressing the test button.
- Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms wear out over time. Replace smoke alarms every 10 years or according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Practise your home escape plan with everyone who lives in your home so everyone knows exactly what to do if the smoke or carbon monoxide alarm sounds in an emergency. Ensure your plan includes those persons who have disabilities.
- Encourage smokers to smoke outside. Extinguish cigarettes in metal containers, not in plant pots or on the ground. Before you throw out cigarette butts and ashes, make sure they are out. Put them in water or sand.
- Watch what you heat. Always stay in the kitchen when you are cooking. Unattended cooking is the number one cause of daytime fires.
For more information, visit ontario.ca/firemarshal.