Call for Artists: 2019 Utility Box Art Display Program
The Town of Orangeville invites local artists to submit original artwork for the 2019 Utility Box Art Display Program. Now in its fourth year, this arts-based project aims to recognize local artists, celebrate the Town’s culture and history, and promote Orangeville as an arts and culture hub.
Purpose - The Utility Box Art Display Program is designed to increase connections between artists and neighbourhoods, organizations, and residents by introducing artwork in public spaces.
Artwork on utility boxes can function as a form of communication to an audience in transit throughout the Town with the goal of creating a vibrant, inclusive, and interesting urban environment.
The Program – In an effort to enhance public places within the Town through the creation of high quality public art works, the Utility Box Art Display Program was initiated by the Town of Orangeville in 2016. Thirteen utility boxes are now part of this growing art collection. In 2019, up to five utility boxes will be added to the program through this Call for Artists.
Call for Artists – Artists residing in Dufferin County are invited to submit their original designs using direction provided. Successful artist submissions must be innovative in design, foster community pride, strive to counteract graffiti vandalism, and contribute to a sense of identity for residents and businesses.
Submissions will be accepted from local artists who meet the following criteria:
- Artist applicants must reside in Dufferin County.
- Artist applicants must be at least 18 years old.
- Town of Orangeville employees are not eligible to apply.
- Members of the Town of Orangeville Cultural Plan Task Force are not eligible to apply.
When designing their artwork, artists are encouraged to consider the context of the local area and the Town as a whole. For 2019, the themes for each location are open, with the exception of the Riddell Road and Alder Street location where designs depicting higher education are required. Open theme designs should fit the character of Orangeville. Themes may include nature, local history, or celebration of arts and culture. Art will be selected with consideration to scale, form, content and design relative to the site. Artists are asked to carefully review the requirements and templates included in the Call for Artists for complete details.
Specific templates for each utility box are provided in the Call for Artists document and must be used to overlay proposed design concept(s). Submissions must include two versions of the design:
- A standalone copy of the design concept
- A copy of the design concept overlaid onto the location specific template (please ensure to use the appropriate template based on selected location)
Designs must not contain:
- any representations of traffic lights, signs, or signals;
- advertisement or promotion for any business, product, or viewpoint;
- vulgar, profane, offensive, negative, or insensitive images or writing;
- any breach of intellectual property, trademarks, brands, or images of illegal activity;
- any attachment of any object(s) to the box.
The recommended locations and themes of the utility boxes proposed for 2019 installations are:
- Kay Cee Gardens – Template 1, open theme
- Riddell Road & Alder Street – Template 2, Higher education theme
- College Avenue & Blind Line – Template 3, open theme
- Riddell Road & Montgomery Boulevard - Template 3, open theme
- Dawson Road & Townline - Template 4, open theme
Winning submissions will be selected by a jury and successful artists will receive a fee of $500 for their designs. All artwork will be subject to Town of Orangeville review and approval.
Artwork will be professionally installed using a high quality vinyl wrap. If selected, artists will be required to provide full-quality, print-ready .jpeg or .tiff files of the artwork at their own expense.
Download the complete program details, submission requirements and templates here. Submissions will be accepted until noon on Friday, May 17, 2019.