Z - road reconstruction.jpg

Roads & Sidewalks

Roads and sidewalks are maintained by the Town, with levels of service determined by municipal policies, budgets and priorities.


There are approximately 110 kilometres of roads in the Town of Orangeville. The maintenance work is prioritized through the budget process. Typically, funds are allocated through the operating budget for the maintenance work which includes hot-mix patching, cold patching, asphalt heat sealing and crack sealing.

The level of service that is provided on each of the Town's roads is done in accordance with the provincially-mandated minimum maintenance standards. Those standards require regular patrols be done to check for such things as missing traffic control signs, areas of the road needing maintenance, etc.

Maintenance, Potholes, Curbs

The Town has established a process of regular inspections of roadways to identify areas that need repair and signs that need to be replaced. If residents observe a large pothole, a sign that is missing, or other deficiency on a roadway, please call the Operations Centre at 519-941-0440 Ext. 4500.

Catch Basins & Storm Sewers

Storm sewers convey rainwater directly to the receiving streams and ultimately to the Credit River, without treatment. The catchbasins on the street collect that stormwater.

Under no circumstances should any waste be disposed of in catchbasins. For liquid waste disposal, please see the Household Hazardous Waste Days information.

If you notice damage to any catchbasins, please call the Operations Centre at 519-941-0440 Ext. 4500.

Road Right-Of-Way

All public roads are located within land which is referred to as the road right-of-way. The Town of Orangeville is the owner of these lands.

Within a typical road right-of-way, the following public facilities can be found: the driving surface, roadside boulevard, or shoulders and ditch, public utilities, sidewalks, and traffic signs to name a few. The road right-of-way width is established normally through the planning process. Regardless, lands within the road right-of-way are reserved for use of the travelling public and maintenance of the Town's road system.

Any type of work or activity that is to be performed within the road right-of-way, other than lawn maintenance, will likely require a permit or other approval from the Town. Common types of work or functions that require a permit, or other Town approval, are driveway installations, irrigation installation, ditch modifications, utility installations, tree removals, banner installations, and parades.

For information, please contact 519-941-0440 Ext. 2250 or e-mail [email protected].

Traffic Signals

The Town of Orangeville is responsible for the maintenance of approximately 20 sets of traffic signals within the Town boundaries.

The signals on Highway 9 and 10 are maintained by the Ministry of Transportation.  The signals on Riddell Road and Dufferin Road 109 are maintained by the County of Dufferin. If you observe a malfunctioning traffic signal, please call 519-941-0440 Ext. 2250.

Street Lights

The Town of Orangeville is responsible for the maintenance of street lights.  That maintenance is performed by Orangeville Hydro on the Town's behalf.

To report a street light that is burnt out, please call 519-941-0440 Ext. 2250 or e-mail [email protected].  The information will be forwarded to Orangeville Hydro.


The Town of Orangeville is responsible for the sidewalks throughout the community.

This work consists of constructing additional sidewalks where needs exist, rebuilding and repairing sidewalks where needs exist, and plowing a network of sidewalks as established by Council policy.

If you see a sidewalk in need of repair, please call 519-941-0440 Ext. 4500 or e-mail [email protected].

Winter Control

Public Works is responsible for the winter control on the Town's streets and sidewalks.  Winter control includes snowplowing, sanding and salting, and snow removal.  Winter control is carried out by municipally owned and operated equipment and contracted labour and equipment.

The level of service that is provided is covered by a policy that is approved by Council.  Generally, snowplowing operations begin if a snowfall accumulation exceeds 5 cm.  Sanding and salting operations will typically begin if the road conditions deteriorate due to snowfall or ice conditions to the point where traffic safety is a concern.  Snow is typically removed from the main streets, to keep the driving and parking lanes clear of snow, and from the residential streets when there is a lack of snow storage and visibility may become a safety issue for people driving on the street.