Sustainable Neighbourhood Action Plan
The Town of Orangeville will receive $46,400 to develop a Sustainable Neighbourhood Action Plan through the Green Municipal Fund.
The Town of Orangeville is developing a Sustainable Neighbourhood Action Plan for the future of the community.
What is a Sustainable Neighbourhood Action Plan?
The Sustainable Neighbourhood Action Plan will be about the future of Orangeville and how people and businesses, with leadership from the Town, can take an important step towards building a greener, healthier, better place in which to live, work and play. Sustainability is accomplished when there is a balance between the needs of people, the environment and business without risking the needs of people in the future.
As a place surrounded by nature that is enjoyed by community members and visitors, the Town of Orangeville understands the importance of working together to create a Plan to reduce the Town’s impacts on the environment and improve the quality of life for everyone.
What will the Plan include?
The Plan will continue to build on existing plans, local strengths and success, and identify future opportunities in a framework that will include a vision, goals, and actions to meet those goals. The topics that will be included in the Sustainable Neighbourhood Action Plan are:
- Energy & Climate Change - conservation, energy demand management, greenhouse gas reduction
- Land Use & Planning- sustainable building standards, heritage conservation, mixed use development, biodiversity and natural heritage
- Transportation - transit, active transportation and electric vehicles
- Environment & Natural Resources - conservation, water and wastewater management and protection of natural environment
- Corporate and Fiscal - integration of sustainability into Town plans, policies and processes and fiscal stewardship
- Economic Development- diversification of local jobs, encouraging tourism and sustainable business practices, supporting environmentally-friendly business ventures
- Social - accessibility standards, health and livability of the community, public education, recreation, housing, etc.
How can I get involved?
Everyone has a role to play, including the Town, businesses, schools, other organizations, and you! We will be giving you a chance to share feedback in all three phases of engagement. And you can contact us by emailing [email protected]
We are currently in the Drafting phase of engagement.
We are looking for feedback on the core elements of the Plan -- including strategies and actions -- that will help drive the implementation of the Plan and fulfill the draft vision of Orangeville as a thriving, green, healthy, and connected community. We invite you to attend the upcoming open house which will begin with a brief presentation at 6:30 p.m.
May 2, 2019
Tony Rose Memorial Sports Centre, Banquet Hall
Who can I contact if I have questions about the Sustainable Neighbourhood Action Plan?
If you have questions or feedback to share about the development of the new Sustainable Neighbourhood Action Plan, please contact:
Manager, Economic Development and Culture
Community Services, Town of Orangeville
519-941-0440 Ext. 2291 | Toll Free 1-866-941-0440 Ext. 2291