Sustainable Neighbourhood Action Plan
The Town of Orangeville will receive $46,400 to develop a Sustainable Neighbourhood Action Plan through the Green Municipal Fund.
The Town of Orangeville is developing a Sustainable Neighbourhood Action Plan for the future of the community.
What is a Sustainable Neighbourhood Action Plan?
The Sustainable Neighbourhood Action Plan will be about the future of Orangeville and how people and businesses, with leadership from the Town, can take an important step towards building a greener, healthier, better place in which to live, work and play. Sustainability is accomplished when there is a balance between the needs of people, the environment and business without risking the needs of people in the future.
As a place surrounded by nature that is enjoyed by community members and visitors, the Town of Orangeville understands the importance of working together to create a Plan to reduce the Town’s impacts on the environment and improve the quality of life for everyone.
What will the Plan include?
The Plan will continue to build on existing plans, local strengths and success, and identify future opportunities in a framework that will include a vision, goals, and actions to meet those goals. The topics that will be included in the Sustainable Neighbourhood Action Plan are:
- Energy Use- conservation, energy demand management, greenhouse gas reduction
- Planning- sustainable building standards, heritage conservation
- Transportation Planning- transit, active transportation and electric vehicles
- Land Use- mixed use development, biodiversity and natural heritage
- Environment & Natural Resources - conservation, water and wastewater management and protection of natural environment
- Corporate and Fiscal- integration of sustainability into Town plans, policies and processes and fiscal stewardship
- Economic Development- diversification of local jobs, encouraging sustainable business practices, supporting environmentally friendly business ventures
- Arts and Culture- supporting tourism, developing creative food systems (i.e. community gardens, local food, etc.), protection of Town’s culture
- Social- accessibility standards, health and livability of the community, public education, recreation, housing, etc.
How can I get involved?
Everyone has a role to play, including the Town, businesses, schools, other organizations, and you! We will be giving you a chance to share feedback in all three phases of engagement. And you can contact us by emailing [email protected]
We are currently in the Determining phase of engagement.
To share your ideas, visit the upcoming pop-up event:
Family Day Celebrations
February 18, 2019
11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Alder Recreation Centre
Who can I contact if I have questions about the Sustainable Neighbourhood Action Plan?
If you have questions or feedback to share about the development of the new Sustainable Neighbourhood Action Plan, please contact:
Manager, Economic Development and Culture
Community Services, Town of Orangeville
519-941-0440 Ext. 2291 | Toll Free 1-866-941-0440 Ext. 2291