The Corporation of the Town of Orangeville invites applications for the position of
Corporate Services Department
(Full-time position, 35 hours per week)
Due to an upcoming retirement, the Town of Orangeville has an opportunity available for the position of Deputy Clerk. This position is responsible for the supervision and direction of the Town’s Records Management Program, vital statistics, lottery and business licensing, and acts as Secretary-Treasurer of the Committee of Adjustment. The Deputy Clerk also assists with the Municipal Election, and, in the absence of the Town Clerk, oversees the Clerk’s Division. Duties of the position include:
- Developing and managing the Town’s Records Management program, a corporate-wide electronic document and records management system.
- Maintaining records relating to the Town’s corporate policies, researching and preparing reports and by-laws to Council or committees of Council regarding policy initiatives related to the divisional services or special projects as directed.
- Attending Council on a rotating basis, taking and preparing minutes; providing administrative and legislative support to various committees of Council.
- Assisting the Town Clerk with budget preparation as needed, providing research and budget information relating to records management and business licensing.
- Supervising and monitoring daily operations of the Town’s lottery, business licensing and vital statistics program; acting as Secretary-Treasurer to the Committee of Adjustment; providing support to the Committee of Adjustment including attending meetings, overseeing receipt, processing and circulation of applications, preparing minutes and decisions; tracking fulfilment of conditions and responsibilities of the Planning Act.
- Responding to enquiries from the general public, other levels of government and staff, regarding all aspects of the operations of the Clerk’s Division.
- Deputy Issuer of Marriage Licenses, Deputy Division Registrar, and Commissioner of Oaths.
- Providing administrative support to the Emergency Control Group, should the Town’s emergency plan be activated.
- Acting as Deputy Returning Officer in the administration of municipal elections, by assisting the Clerk/Returning Officer with all aspects of the election.
- Assisting with Council orientation and inauguration.
- Other duties as assigned.
- University degree in public administration - government, political science, law, or equivalent education and experience
- Minimum five (5) years of progressive, related and demonstrated experience, including three (3) years’ experience at a supervisory level.
- Previous experience in records management.
- Knowledge and experience with the Municipal Act, Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy of Act, Municipal Elections Act, Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act, Planning Act, and other legislation.
- Demonstrated knowledge of council policy and procedures.
- Fundamentals of Records and Information Management is preferred.
- Municipal Administration Program, Parliamentary Procedures and Primer on Planning courses are preferred.
- Membership in the Association of Municipal Managers, Clerks and Treasurers of Ontario is preferred.
- Ability to work independently to complete tasks, work with high accuracy, and work within time constraints; excellent interpersonal, organizational, public relations, and writing skills; priority setting and record retention skills with the ability to respect confidentiality; ability to prioritize in a multi-tasking environment.
- Computer proficiency in MS Office, SharePoint, and related information systems.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes, in confidence, to Sarah Alexander, Human Resources Assistant, no later than 4 p.m. on Thursday September 12, 2019. Applications may be submitted online, emailed to [email protected], or submitted in person to the Town Hall located at 87 Broadway. If submitting a resume via email, please quote the job title in the subject line.
By submitting your personal information to the Town of Orangeville, you consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of that information in connection with our recruitment, hiring and/or employment processes.
Personal information on this form is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001, S.O. 2001, c.25, as amended, and will be used to determine the qualifications for employment with the Town of Orangeville. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Manager, Human Resources at 87 Broadway, Orangeville, Ontario L9W 1K1.
Salary: $72,672.60 to $85,030.40, Band 10 on the Town’s 2019 pay grid, plus a comprehensive benefits package
If you are interested in this position, please complete the following application form.