The Corporation of the Town of Orangeville invites applications for the position of
Infrastructure Services Department
(Full-time position, 35 hours per week)
The Town of Orangeville has an opportunity available for the position of Senior Planner. The Senior Planner makes recommendations on a variety of planning and development application matters, contributing to the fulfillment of the Town’s planning objectives in the context of the provincial planning policy framework. Reporting to the Manger of Planning, the duties and responsibilities of the Senior Planner include:
- Managing the review and processing of planning applications including pre-submission consultation; ensuring submission requirements are met; co-ordinating with departments, agencies, and the public; formation of planning recommendations; maintaining application process tracking and documentation.
- Reviewing planning applications and development proposals in accordance with Provincial and municipal policy, standards, and guidelines; appropriateness for subject lands and compatibility with surroundings; and consultation with the community, internal departments, and external agency partners.
- Liaising with landowners, applicants, consultants, Council, Town staff, public agencies, members of the public and other stakeholders; providing guidance on issues requiring complex interpretation and sound judgement; mediating and negotiating on development matters under review.
- Preparing reports and recommendations for Council through the Manager of Planning with respect to planning applications; preparing development approval documents including drafting By-laws and development agreements;
- Researching and preparing studies and guidelines including Town-initiated amendments and/or updates related to the Town’s Official Plan and Zoning By-law, design guidelines, development manuals, brochures, pamphlets or other information guides.
- Other duties as assigned.
- University Degree in Planning or related discipline.
- Minimum five (5) years of progressive experience, related to development review and planning policy development, preferably in a municipal environment.
- Membership in the Ontario Professional Planners Institute (OPPI). Membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners (MCIP) is also preferred.
- Registered Professional Planner (RPP) designation.
- Must demonstrate a thorough working knowledge of the land use planning process and related legislation in Ontario, including the Planning Act, Municipal Act, Ontario Heritage Act and other relevant legislation and provincial planning policy documents.
- Previous experience providing expert evidence at the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal.
- Previous experience making verbal presentations before municipal Council/Committees, the public and applicants/consultants.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, including SharePoint, Word, PowerPoint and Excel; understanding of GIS, web-based applications and other pertinent software.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written; excellent research and analytical skills; ability to manage several concurrent projects and work productively with minimal supervision.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes, in confidence, to Sarah Alexander, Human Resources Assistant, no later than 4 p.m. on Monday June 24, 2019. Applications may be submitted online, emailed to [email protected], or submitted in person to the Town Hall located at 87 Broadway. If submitting a resume via email, please quote the job title in the subject line.
By submitting your personal information to the Town of Orangeville, you consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of that information in connection with our recruitment, hiring and/or employment processes.
Personal information on this form is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, R.S.O. 1980, c.302 (as amended), and will be used to determine the qualifications for employment with the Town of Town of Orangeville. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Manager, Human Resources at 87 Broadway, Orangeville, Ontario L9W 1K1.
Salary: $77,841.40 to $91,072.80, Band 11 on the Town’s 2019 pay grid, plus a comprehensive benefits package
If you are interested in this position, please complete the following application form.