Climate Change Co-ordinator
The Corporation of the Town of Orangeville invites applications for the position of
Climate Change Co-ordinator
Infrastructure Services Department
(Full-time contract position (24 months, 35 hours per week)
The Climate Change Co-ordinator will focus on the planning and implementation of municipal climate change priorities, with the responsibility for the development and implementation of the Town’s climate adaptation plan.
- Assisting the Manager of Environment with establishing and chairing a Climate Action Team with internal stakeholders and external consultants, if required, with the goal of developing and implementing a climate adaptation plan. The Climate Action Team will assist the Climate Change Co-ordinator with the following: Preparing for the planning process, including educating municipal employees and council on climate change issues, creating a vision for the planning process, assessing the status of assets (e.g. assess the vulnerability of infrastructure to climate change impacts, etc.)., developing the action plan, developing the measurement and monitoring protocols, preparing reports to obtain council approvals and implementing the measurement and monitoring protocols.
- Developing and promoting the adoption of municipal operational and institutional changes that ensure climate adaptation over longer term for the municipality.
- Researching, proposing, and implementing operational and institutional changes required to implement recommendations from the climate adaptation plan and ensure long-term impacts for the municipality.
- Conducting research and analysis for the purpose of implementing climate adaptation initiatives and assisting with or leading public education programs that include organizing stakeholder consultations, co-ordinating policy research, and developing technical plans or specifications to implement a capital project.
- Ensuring that the municipality completes a self-assessment of the municipality’s performance and progress using the Climate Adaptation Maturity Scale at the beginning and end of grant period.
- Ensuring that the municipality prepares and submits a project report (after 12 months) and a project completion report (after 24 months) and requests disbursements from FCM at periodic intervals (after contract signature, 12 months, and 24 months).
- University Degree or College Diploma in Civil Engineering, Environmental Sciences or related discipline.
- Minimum of three (3) years of related experience in the field of climate change and/or asset management, preferably in the municipal environment.
- Previous experience leading teams and program implementation.
- Valid Ontario Class G drivers licence with a good driving record.
- Strong research and analytical skills (e.g. ability to conduct rigorous research, summarize findings, and present recommendations).
- Understanding the program development process and implementing new initiatives, including planning, costing, team building, implementation strategies, and building in feedback and evaluation techniques.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail, with proven efficiency to handle and prioritize multiple projects at one time
- Proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes, in confidence, to Sarah Alexander, Human Resources Assistant, no later than 4 p.m. on Thursday, February 21, 2019. Applications may be submitted online, emailed to [email protected], or submitted in person at the Town Hall located at 87 Broadway. If submitting a resume via email, please quote the job title in the subject line.
The Town of Orangeville is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Questions about this collection should be directed to the attention of the Manager, Human Resources at 87 Broadway, Orangeville, Ontario L9W 1K1.
Salary: $64,391.60 to $75,311.60, Band 9 on the Town's 2018 pay gird, plus a contract benefits package
If you are interested in this position, please complete the following application form.