Manager of Building, Chief Building Offical
The Corporation of the Town of Orangeville invites applications for the position of
Manager of Building, Chief Building Official
Infrastructure Services Department
The Manager of Building, Chief Building Official will manage and supervise the Building Division of the Town of Orangeville’s Infrastructure Services Department. This position will enable the Town of Orangeville to carry out its mandate under the Building Code Act. Duties will include:
- Leading and managing daily activities of the Building Division in providing building permit application plan review and related inspection services; making the final decision in disagreements between staff and applicants for building-related disputes; ensuring maintenance of the database of inspection records; compiling various statistical reports.
- Performing on-site inspections of buildings under construction to ensure compliance with the Ontario Building Code and all related legislation; document findings; interpreting data, test results and reports.
- Issuing building, demolition, septic and pool enclosure permits; responding to technical enquiries; providing advice to the public regarding the general construction practices, the Ontario Building Code, municipal by-laws and all other pertinent legislative requirements.
- Issuing required compliance letters, including but not limited to: stop work orders, order to comply, unsafe condition orders, orders not to cover, orders prohibiting occupancy.
- Establishing building code interpretations; formulating and reviewing divisional procedures.
- Establishing, reviewing and administering the division’s long term operating budgets in conjunction with the General Manager of Infrastructure Services; monitoring and approving the division’s expenditures within the corporate framework.
- Preparing reports, making recommendations and representing the Building Division at Council, public meetings and at other functions/meetings as directed by the General Manager of Infrastructure Services.
- Other such duties as assigned.
- Post-secondary diploma in architectural or Engineering Technology, or related discipline.
- Designation as a Certified Building Code Official (CBCO) as described in Section 15.11 (1) of the Ontario Building Code Act, and a member in good standing with the Ontario Building Officials Association.
- Registered Building Official with Ministry of Affairs and Housing (MMAH).
- Qualifications and courses as defined under Part 3, Division C of the Building Code from the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing (MMAH).
- Four to five years of commercial, industrial, institutional and residential building inspection experience, including a minimum of two years of management/supervisory experience. Previous municipal experience is a requirement.
- Previous Chief Building Official experience is an asset.
- Thorough working knowledge of all building municipal services, including but not limited to: municipal zoning by-laws, Official Plans, Building Code Act and Regulations, Ontario Health and Safety Act, Ontario Building Code, Fire Code, Planning Act, and the Municipal Act.
- Valid class “G” Ontario Driver’s License in good standing.
- Excellent interpersonal, project/time management, analytical, communication, presentation, public/media relations, problem-solving, negotiations, staff leadership, supervisory report writing, record keeping skills as well as the ability to interpret detailed blueprints.
- Experience in using Land Manager, Amanda or some other systematic building permit tracking system/software.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes, in confidence, to Sarah Alexander, Human Resources Assistant no later than 4 p.m. on Friday July 13, 2018. Applications may be submitted online, emailed to [email protected], or submitted in person to the Town Hall. If submitting a resume via email, please quote the job title in the subject line.
The Town of Orangeville is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Questions about this collection should be directed to the attention of the Human Resources Manager at 87 Broadway, Orangeville, Ontario L9W 1K1.
Salary: $100,009.00 to $116,989.60
If you are interested in this position, please complete the following application form.