The Corporation of the Town of Orangeville invites applications for the position of
Corporate Services Department
(Full-time position, 35 hours per week)
Due to an upcoming retirement, the Town of Orangeville has an opportunity for the position of Town Clerk.
Located on the north-west edge of the Greater Toronto Area, less than one hour’s drive from Toronto and yet only moments away from the unspoiled, natural beauty of the Niagara Escarpment, the Town of Orangeville offers an excellent combination of location, small town charm and urban amenities. Situated in the picturesque natural setting of the Hills of Headwaters, Orangeville is home to nearly 30,000 residents and is the largest urban community and regional service centre within the County of Dufferin. The Town of Orangeville is recognized as a great place to raise a family, with an excellent quality of life and a strong sense of community. Our employees are passionate about delivering high-quality programs and services to our residents and are proud to contribute to making Orangeville one of the exceptional places to live in Canada.
The Town Clerk is accountable for the direction and management of the Clerk’s division including By-Law Enforcement functions, attend Council meetings to fulfill the statutory duties of the Clerk, provide advice and expertise to council, CAO and management as it relates to the application of the Municipal Act and other related provincial statues and regulations.
- University degree in public administration - government, political science or law and the Certified Municipal Officer's designation or equivalent education and experience
- Significant demonstrated municipal experience in a management capacity, four to five (5) years of management experience involved with overseeing the administration of the Clerk’s and By-law Enforcement functions, council administration, legislation, procedures and practices, records management and municipal elections.
- Thorough working knowledge of the Clerk’s statutory duties and By-law Enforcement functions.
- Knowledgeable in parliamentary procedures and Robert's Rules of Order.
- Thorough working knowledge of various provincial statutes related to municipal government including, but not limited to, the Municipal Act, Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, Municipal Elections Act, Municipal Conflict of Interest Act, Planning Act, Ontario Heritage Act, Vital Statistics Act.
- Knowledge of current issues facing local government in Ontario, and particularly as they relate to Council and Clerks and By-law Enforcement
- Strong computer skills including use of Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook and SharePoint) and related information systems.
- Excellent interpersonal, financial, managerial, project/time management, organizational, analytical, research, communication, presentation, problem-solving, report-writing and supervisory skills.
- Leadership and human relations skills in order to direct, develop, motivate, and support staff in developing and achieving goals and objectives and to be able to participate as an effective team member within the Corporate Services Department and with the management team.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes, in confidence, to Ms. Sarah Alexander, Human Resources Assistant, no later than 4 p.m. on Thursday, May 2, 2019. Applications may be submitted online, emailed to [email protected], or submitted in person at the Town Hall located at 87 Broadway. If submitting a resume via email, please quote the job title in the subject line.
By submitting your personal information to the Town of Orangeville, you consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of that information in connection with our recruitment, hiring and/or employment processes.
Personal information on this form is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, R.S.O. 1980, c.302 (as amended), and will be used to determine the qualifications for employment with the Town of Town of Orangeville. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Manager, Human Resources at 87 Broadway, Orangeville, Ontario L9W 1K1.
Salary: $102,211.20 - $119,555.80, Band 13 (Under Review), plus a comprehensive benefits package
If you are interested in this position, please complete the following application form.