2017-02-16 Communities in Bloom Meeting
Communities in Bloom Committee
87 Broadway, Orangeville
Thursday, February 16, 2017
Ted Zarudny, Chair
Councillor Nick Garisto
1. Call to Order
The Chair called the meeting to order at 7:05 p.m.
2. Declaration of Pecuniary Interest
3. Approval of Agenda
Moved by B. Scott
That the Agenda for February 16, 2017 be approved.
4. Approval of Minutes
Moved by S. Nelson
That the minutes of the November 17, 2016 meeting be approved.
5. New Business
5.1 Corporate Greening Program
Sharon discussed some information pamphlets she has seen from the CVC regarding a Corporate Greening Program. Volunteers get involved to spruce up the outdoor façade of the gardens in front of businesses. The committee discussed how it may support and get involved in such a program. Sharon has stated that she will get further information from the CVC regarding the program.
5.2 Home Show Entry and Staffing
CiB Committee will have a booth at the Home and Garden Show during the weekend of March 31 to April 2. Committee members are requested to volunteer to help out at the booth. The members will email their availability to Ted. The committee discussed ideas for the table set up and the possibility of seed giveaways, flyers, colouring pages and other promotional material. Miracle grow has donated and there will be a fertilizer draw. The committee will decorate with a red and white theme and it was suggested to tie in some blue for Ontario’s Birthday.
5.3 Judges Tour 2017
The committee wants to coordinate the Judges Tour with a large Orangeville event. Ribfest is July 14-16 which would be the best time of year to request the Judges tour. Suggested last year to have a staff BBQ so the Judges can meet those involved from the Town and Committee. The Committee will review the 2016 Judges tour comments in detail at the next meeting. All Canada 150 events taking place in Orangeville are to be put in a spreadsheet form for the profile book. Ted will request assistance from the Events Committee on this portion.
5.4 Garden Contest
The committee discussed the idea of adding a Children’s Garden Contest category and promote in a “pot” ideas for kids. Veronica will coordinate the promotion and will get back to the group next meeting. Entry dates and deadline cut-off dates need to be decided on. Promotion of the Garden Contest will start in April. The committee discussed the “pay it forward” garden sign idea. Ted has sample photos that he will distribute to the group.
The meeting adjourned. (Time: 8:15 p.m.)