Z-Council website banner.jpg

Committee of Adjustment

The Committee of Adjustment is authorized under the Ontario Planning Act to receive applications and make decisions regarding requests for minor variances from the provisions of the Town’s Zoning By-law and requests for consent.

Minor Variance Applications
Minor Variances may be granted, provided that, in the opinion of the Committee, the request is minor in nature, is desirable for the appropriate development or use of the land, building or structure and, if in the opinion of the Committee, the general intent and purpose of the Town's Official Plan and Zoning Bylaw are maintained. 

Minor Variance Fee -- Info Sheet and Application

Guide to Minor Variation Applications

Consent Applications
The Committee may give "consent" to grant land severances and other types of consent dealing with long-term use of land if, in its opinion, the application conforms to the provisions of the Planning Act, Official Plan and the Zoning Bylaw.

Consent Fees -- Info Sheet and Application

Guide to Consent  Applications

Opportunity for Appeal
A decision of the Committee of Adjustment may be appealed to the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal.  Only individuals, corporations and public bodies may appeal decisions with respect to the application for minor variance to the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal (LPAT).  A Notice of Appeal may not be filed by an unincorporated association or group. However, a Notice of Appeal may be filed in the name of an individual who is a member of the association or group on its behalf.  If you wish to appeal a decision of the Committee of Adjustment to the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal, a copy of the appeal form is available from the LPAT website at www.elto.gov.on.ca.  An appeal form must be accompanied by a certified cheque or money order in the amount of $300.00 plus $25 for each additional consent/variance appeal filed by the same appellant against connected applications payable to the Minister of Finance.

The appeal period for consents is 20 days from the date the Secretary-Treasurer mails the notice of decision. The appeal period for variances and permissions is 20 days from the date of the decision.

How to Apply
Any person wishing to apply to the Committee of Adjustment must complete the appropriate application form, which can be found on this page or at the Clerk's Office located at 87 Broadway, Orangeville. For further information, you may contact the Secretary-Treasurer of the Committee of Adjustment by phone at 519-941-0440 Ext. 2223 or by email at [email protected].