Clerks Department Banner - Town Hall building located at 87 Broadway

Marriage Licences

To be married in Ontario, a couple must first apply for a marriage licence. Marriage licences may be obtained at Town Hall and are valid for a period of 90 days from the date of issue.

Licences are issued Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays) from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., at Town Hall, 87 Broadway, Orangeville, ON

Licence Fee: $115. (cash or debit card only – non-refundable).

For general inquiries, please call: 519-941-0440 or 1-866-941-0440 Ext. 2210.

Marriage Licence Requirements

  1. A marriage licence can be issued only to the applicant and/or joint applicant.
  2. Both parties must sign the Marriage Licence Application form.
  3. Applicants must be at least 18 years old to get married in Ontario. If you are 16 or 17 years old, you may marry if you have the written consent of both parents or legal guardians.

Either the applicant or the joint applicant may submit the completed Application along with proof of identity (showing full legal name) for both applicants. Identification must be valid and original, photocopies are not accepted. Bring 2 pieces of government-issued identification for each person getting married. One piece of identification must include your photo. Examples of government-issued identification:

  • Government-issued birth certificate, including any change of name certificates
  • Valid passport
  • Record of immigrant landing
  • Canadian citizenship card
  • Valid driver’s licence
  • Valid Ontario photo card
  1. If the applicants have a rural route number, or box number as an address, the lot, concession number and township, or the actual street address is required.
  2. Where an applicant has been divorced, and the divorce was granted in Canada, the original or a court-certified copy of either the Decree Absolute, Certificate of Divorce, or the final judgment must be produced for inspection by the marriage licence issuer. For divorces issued prior to June 1, 1986 the original Final Decree or a certified copy of same will be accepted.
  3. If the divorce was granted outside Canada, the applicant must obtain authorization from the Office of the Registrar General before a marriage licence may be issued. Please obtain a Foreign Divorce Authorization kit.

For more information on getting married in Ontario, please visit Service Ontario at


The Town of Orangeville offers the use of Town Hall’s Council Chambers for the provision of civil marriage ceremonies up to two (2) Fridays per month. For more information on civil marriage ceremonies, please see info online or call the Town at  519-941-0440 or 1-866-941-0440 Ext. 2210.