Clerks Department Banner - Town Hall building located at 87 Broadway

Marriage Licences

To be married in Ontario, a couple must first apply for a marriage licence. Marriage licences may be obtained at Town Hall and are valid for a period of 90 days from the date of issue.

Due to COVID-19, Town Hall is still closed to the public. However, effective June 18th, 2020 the town will be processing marriage license applications, via in-person appointments on Thursdays only.

If you would like to apply for a marriage licence, please follow the process below:

  1. Scan and email your marriage licence application and 2 pieces of government issued ID (in good standing) for each applicant to [email protected]
    • Please submit your documentation in one email and ensure that scanned documents are clear and legible
    • In your email, please also let us know your scheduled wedding date
    • Only one applicant is to pick up the licence. In your email, please confirm the name of the applicant who will be picking up the marriage licence
    • If either applicant has been married before, you must also provide the original divorce certificate
  2. Pay for the marriage licence fee of $115 online by visiting:
    • Select “Parking Violation” as the payment type
    • Include both applicants’ last names in the ticket number field. If you are unable to fit both last names in the space provided, please enter the name of the applicant that will be picking up the licence
    • Our online payments are processed through Paymentus Corporation - a third party automated payment service that accepts Visa or Mastercard. Paymentus will charge a convenience fee of 1.75% for each transaction.
    • The marriage licence will not be processed until payment has been received
  3. Once all required information and payment is received, town staff will contact you with your appointment information. Please bring all original documentation to your appointment
    • Please note: we are only processing marriage licenses and scheduling appointments for applicants once all information and payment has been received and reviewed. Please allow for sufficient time for the Town to receive payment and process the licence. This may take 3-5 business days, therefore your appointment may not be scheduled on the Thursday following your application submission.

When attending Town Hall, for your safety and that of the staff on site, we ask that you wear a mask and sanitize your hands upon arrival.
Please refer to the information below, for additional marriage license information and for the marriage license application.

For inquiries, please call: 519-941-0440 or 1-866-941-0440 Ext. 2210.

Marriage Licence Requirements

  1. A marriage licence can be issued only to the applicant and/or joint applicant.
  2. Both parties must sign the Marriage Licence Application form.
  3. Applicants must be at least 18 years old to get married in Ontario. If you are 16 or 17 years old, you may marry if you have the written consent of both parents or legal guardians.

Either the applicant or the joint applicant may submit the completed Application along with proof of identity (showing full legal name) for both applicants. Identification must be valid and original, photocopies are not accepted. Bring 2 pieces of government-issued identification for each person getting married. One piece of identification must include your photo. Examples of government-issued identification:

  • Government-issued birth certificate, including any change of name certificates
  • Valid passport
  • Record of immigrant landing
  • Canadian citizenship card
  • Valid driver’s licence
  • Valid Ontario photo card
  1. If the applicants have a rural route number, or box number as an address, the lot, concession number and township, or the actual street address is required.
  2. Where an applicant has been divorced, and the divorce was granted in Canada, the original or a court-certified copy of either the Decree Absolute, Certificate of Divorce, or the final judgment must be produced for inspection by the marriage licence issuer. For divorces issued prior to June 1, 1986 the original Final Decree or a certified copy of same will be accepted.
  3. If the divorce was granted outside Canada, the applicant must obtain authorization from the Office of the Registrar General before a marriage licence may be issued. Please obtain a Foreign Divorce Authorization kit.

For more information on getting married in Ontario, please visit Service Ontario at

For more information on civil marriage ceremonies, please see info online or call the Town at 519-941-0440 or 1-866-941-0440 Ext. 2210.