Sign Permits

Sign bylaws regulate the placement, size, and appearance of signs in certain locations.

Bylaw Enforcement is responsible for issuing sign permits regulating permanent and portable signs and other advertising devices, and the posting of notices on buildings or in vacant lots and awnings or marquees which project over a street. All construction must comply with the Ontario Building Code and the Town of Orangeville Sign Bylaw Number 28-2013.

To obtain a sign permit for a project which does not comply with the Sign Bylaw, a minor variance is necessary. Please contact the Bylaw Department at 519-941-0440 Ext. 2226.

To obtain a sign permit for a project in the Downtown Special Heritage District, you must comply with the Heritage District specifications and regulations. Please contact the Planning Department at 519-941-0440 Ext. 2246.

How Do I Apply for a Sign Permit?

Submit a completed sign permit application with the required information to the Bylaw Division.

Applications will be checked for compliance with the Sign Bylaw and applicants will be advised if any modifications are required to plans in order for the project to comply. A sign permit will be issued when all necessary approvals have been obtained and all fees have been paid.

For specific information regarding sign permits, please contact the Bylaw Division at 519-941-0440 Ext. 2226 or e-mail [email protected]

Under some conditions, a variance to the sign bylaw may be permitted.

Sign Bylaw 28-2013 permits Council to consider variances to the requirements of the bylaw.  The sign variance process is administered by the Bylaw Division, with the final decision being made by Council.

A copy of the sign variance application form can be downloaded.  The form is to be filled out manually and submitted with original signatures, supporting documentation, and applicable fee(s).