Pool/Hot Tub Permits

Permits are required for privately-owned outdoor swimming pools and hot tubs on private property.

In fact, a pool enclosure permit is required for any privately-owned body of water located outdoors above or below finished grade on privately-owned property, contained in part or in whole by artificial means in which the depth of water at any point can exceed 24 inches. The purpose of the permit is to ensure and inspect that the proper enclosure and protection requirements, as set out in the Swimming Pool Enclosure Bylaw Number 15-93, are satisfied.

To obtain a pool enclosure permit for an inground pool, above ground pool or hot tub, the applicant must complete a building permit application form. The applicant may be the homeowner, contractor, or an agent for the owner. Please note, applicants who are not the owner of the property will be required to submit with the permit application a letter of authorization from the owner.  For your convenience, you may use our standard agent authorization form.

Other documents to be submitted with the permit application are:

  • Survey showing location and dimension of the pool/hot tub, along with the setbacks from the side yard lot lines and rear yard lot line
  • Description of fencing
  • Grading Plan (see Schedule B of the Swimming Pool Enclosure Bylaw Number 15-93
  • For hot tubs, you will need to provide details of what the hot tub will be sitting on and you will need to provide a copy of your hydro permit. Hydro permits can be obtained by contacting the Electrical Safety Authority at 1-877-372-7233.
  • Please see the Town's information package on Planning Your Pool.

The Swimming Pool Enclosure permit fee is $14.50 per $1,000 of value or part thereof with a minimum fee of $100 for above ground pools and $200 for inground pools.  For additional information related to the Permit Fee structure for Swimming Pool Enclosures, please refer to Schedule A of By-law Number 57-2007.

For clarification and questions on obtaining a pool enclosure permit, please contact the Building Division directly at 519-941-0440 Ext 2228.