Headwaters COVID-19 Assessment Centre
Headwaters Health Care Centre has opened a COVID-19 Assessment Centre.
As of Friday, April 10, the COVID-19 Assessment Centre hours will be altered to 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., with the last patient being seen at 4:30 p.m. The Assessment Centre is open seven days a week and is staffed by local family physicians and team members from home and community care, primary care and the hospital. It is a self-contained, semi-permanent, hard-sided tent located at the top parking lot at 140 Rolling Hills Drive. People drive through and are assessed in their cars. Walk-ins are also accepted.
“I urge people to stay informed and review recommendations from public health and the Ontario Ministry of Health frequently,” said Kim Delahunt, President & CEO, Headwaters Health Care Centre. “If you do not need to be at the hospital, or you do not meet the assessment criteria, please stay away. For those who have to come to the hospital, your patience is greatly appreciated.”
According to guidance from Wellington-Dufferin-Public Health, you should go to an assessment centre if you have at least one of the following symptoms:
- new onset of cough
- difficulty breathing
- sore throat
- runny, stuffy or congested nose
- lost sense of smell or taste
- hoarse voice
- difficulty swallowing
- digestive issues (nausea/vomitting, diarrhea, stomach pain) or
- for young children and infants: sluggishness or lack of appetite.
*No Referral Needed*
You may also use the online Self-Assessment Tool to determine if you need to go to an assessment centre or seek care. It has been updated to reflect the above range of symptoms.
At the assessment centre you will be assessed by a clinician and based on your symptoms you may be tested and provided further instruction. Not everyone will be tested.
Individuals can also seek guidance by calling Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000 or by calling their doctor who can do an assessment over the phone. People should not go to an assessment centre unless they have symptoms of COVID-19.
What to expect when you arrive at the COVID-19 Assessment Centre at Headwaters
- Please bring your health card with you
- The Assessment Centre is located at 140 Rolling Hills Drive via Highway 10
- Directional signage and directional assistants will be available to direct drivers to the drive-through COVID-19 Assessment Centre
- An assessment will take about 15 minutes but the lines and wait time will be unpredictable
- There are two drive-through lanes which means if they are fully staffed that two vehicles can be assessed at once. There will not be any additional staff for walk-ins so that means depending on how many walk-ins there are, they may not be able to screen two vehicles at a time.
- Vehicles will come through and be handed an assessment screening tool which is a sheet that those being screened have to fill in
- Based on those answers, that will determine whether people are tested
- If a person needs to be tested, based on the assessment tool, they will register and pull into the drive-through tent and turn off their car
- A member of the care team (nurse and physician) will assess them while they are still in the vehicle
- If they meet the criteria, they will get a nasal pharyngeal swab
- Depending on the symptom severity they will be told to self-isolate or visit the emergency department while they await test results